Monday, February 15, 2010

European Premiere: Valentine's Day!


Attending the European premiere of the Warner Bros. movie Valentine's Day was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. On Thursday, since I do not have any classes, I went with Jason to Camden to meet Alexa for lunch. On my way home, I decided to stop by Leicester Square, as I knew that the premier was to be held there later that day. I got to the theater around 3:00, to see that a small crowd had already started to gather around where the red carpet would be rolled out about 3 hours later. So...I stood, and thought...do I want to stand here, in the freezing cold for 3-4 hours to possibly catch a glimpse of some of the most famous stars in the world, or do I want to go home and relax? If you know me at all, you know that I of course chose to stay. Luckily, I was able to get a spot only about one person back from the red carpet. Since I was stuck standing there for hours, by myself, I made friends with several people standing around me. There were a few photographers, and even some men who went to all the movie premieres in London as a hobby. They had stacks upon stacks of celebrity photos, many of which they were in alongside the celebrity. They talked abut the stars like they were best friends since they had met them on many occasions before.
Around 5:15, they shut off the gates to the corrals that we stood in on the sides of the street, and they began to roll out the red carpet. It was so cool being right next to, behind the scenes, of something I had witnessed on television for years and years for awards shows, premieres, etc. They began to play music over the loud speakers, famous and current love songs to go along with the movie's theme. There were also lights shining down hearts all over the red carpet and flashing around the square.
One by one, the stars began arriving in cars at the end of the red carpet. I was near the middle of the carpet, closer to the entrance of the theater, but I was aware of the arrival of the stars by the screams that erupted from fans towards the end of the carpet. An announcer came over the speaker to introduce each of the stars as they stepped out of their cars. The first actor to make his way towards us was Topher Grace, from "That 70's Show," and several other movies. When he approached us, the absolute amazing-ness of what I was experiencing finally hit me. Topher Grace was standing three inches away from my face!! All of the stars passed right by me, signing autographs and allowing people to snap pictures of them while they walked by. Directly across from me there was a section for all of the press to stand in, so the celebrities would walk over there for short interviews. Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore looked incredible as usual- and people of course went WILD over Ashton. He looks even better in person than he does in all of his movies. The other stars I saw and captured great pictures of were Jessica Alba, Emma Roberts, and Hector Elizondo.
I was pretty pumped to see Hector since Princess Diaries is one of my favorite movies of all time, sadly enough. Jessica Alba, obviously, drew a great deal of male fans- the two guys standing behind me, who were probably about 25, screamed like little girls when she accidentally grazed their hands while signing autographs. She is beyond stunning...

Finally, it was extremely thrilling to see the director, Garyy Marshall, up close. The director and producer on 30+ movies, including the world-renowned "Pretty Women," seemed like one of the friendliest celebrities on the red carpet.



Needless to say, I went to go see the film "Valentine's Day," with my roommate Keetin yesterday. For such a star-studded cast, it definitely lived up to my expectations of a perfect romantic comedy to see on the holiday. I definitely think it was even more of a special experience for me because of my recent encounter with the stars I now saw on the screen in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment